Friday, March 09, 2007

Lexi and her friends

Lexi had a class assembly today - what us "normal" people would call a 'class play.' Instead of taking pictures DURING the performance - and ending up having to delete half of them because they didn't turn out - I just waited until afterward and got some pics of her with some of her friends.




That's Lexi with Anna. I can't even put into words how proud I am of Lexi for being friends with this girl. As you can see from the picture, Anna has Down's Syndrome. Because of this, she gets bullied a lot at school. But Lexi doesn't care that Anna's different. She sees what Anna actually IS - a good natured, sweet little girl. Hell, Lexi's even tried to stand up to the "big kids" in the playground when they start bullying Anna. One of the kids down the block from us was bullying her, and Lexi tried to tell him to leave her alone. He didn't listen, but that didn't matter. What matters is that she tried.

Obviously, having a sister like Syrina is what sets Lexi apart from most kids in understanding kids with special needs. She knows to look past the disabilities to see the person, because she's had to do that her entire life.




And THAT is Lexi with her friend Melissa and Melissa's little brother Robert. Melissa and Lexi have been friends since Nursery. I'm pretty friendly with their mother, as well. And Robert gets all excited whenever he sees any of us. If he sees me, he comes running to me. I find it funny. He'll be starting Reception at their school in September, so I wouldn't be surprised if Lexi, Chloe, Melissa AND Robert started hanging out together in the playground next year.

I had to admit, I liked the little play they put on. They called it "An African Story." It was about a zebra who didn't have any stripes (the poor boy who played the zebra was SO uncomfortable - he was wearing a t-shirt and a pair of tights, and you could see how uncomfortable he was!). He goes on a quest to find himself some stripes, and in the process he learns to accept himself the way he is. I liked that little message. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home